Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the things people say...

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow. As I near the end, I'm starting to reflect on all the time that has passed.

When you spend 10 months being pregnant (yes, 10 months...40 weeks = 10 months, not 9), you hear the same things over and over and some of them become somewhat entertaining. These are the top 3 things that have cracked me up. If you've said these things to me, don't feel bad - I'm not mad, I'm just at a cynical point in my pregnancy!

1) "Are you excited?!?". Other variations include "Is Jamie excited?", "Are your parents excited?". This cracks me up b/c I'm not sure how many answers there really could be. I think a person would be truly taken aback if I said, "Oh my goodness no, we're devastated and can't believe this has happened to us." Of course we're excited, silly!!

2) "You know, you're life is going to change." I like to think that Jamie and I are relatively level-headed, intelligent adults, and I would hope that the majority of others agree. Part of me wants to respond by saying "Really?? I totally thought that it was going to stay just the way it was except there'd be this little pink thing living in our house." Sound the presses! Yes, thank you, we know life will never be the same.

3) "I think you're going to have a boy/girl because..." Even though I know I'm having a girl, people still have their reasons. A woman at the register at Home Depot asked when I was due. I responded the SHE was due 9/3, to which the woman said, "Oh, no, I really think you're having a boy - you look like you're pregnant with a boy". Apparently this woman, in her 1 minute interaction with us, knew better then the ultrasounds. It's amazing how many undercover psychic witchdoctors there are out there.

I say most of this in jest - I'm sure I've said these things to preggos before too, since it's hard to know what to say (especially b/c each of us pregnant women is intricately different).

Enough complaining - I'm almost there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment