As mentioned in the previous two posts, we had a bout of the "pooping disease" recently (and by "we" I don't mean me or Jamie). She got over that and could go back to child care. The last day of pooping disease, the boogers returned. Sneeze? Boogers shoot out. Then we get a call the other day that she had a fever (a fluctuating one...I guess they sat next to her with a thermometer in her armpit watching the temp) and needed to be picked up. Lovely. No fever next day, back to daycare.
When I dropped her off, Miss Jenn said, "I was worried that she was getting the stomach bug again, it's going around". You and me both sista. I mentioned the boogies - "we call that the daycare drip", she says.
They should put that as a feature in their newsletter. "Sickness of the month - what you can expect your child to catch this week". Forget telling me that she put her hand on ice to learn what "cold means". Tell me the stuff I really need to know. Do I need to stock up on Pedialyte and diapers, or should I instead be purchasing extra tissues?
She already had the poopy bug and got over it, but it seems that, unlike the chicken pox, the runs can return at will. If there are 8 babies in the room, and they keep getting each other sick, then should I expect her to get the same sickness at regular intervals because it's her time to carry the icky torch? I'm no statistician, so I really have no idea what the probability is of her getting the stomach virus again, but my thinking is that the chances are pretty high.
Short of dipping her (versus the toys - they claim it happens twice a day) in antibacterial solution on an hourly basis, I have to remind myself that "they say" that being in childcare and getting sick builds up their immune system. As Jamie asks me regularly, "who are THEY", I'm not sure which group of "they" claims that there's a positive side to this constant stream of viruses and bacteria that are worming their way through her. Just as people say that it's good luck for it to rain on a person's wedding day, in an effort to comfort the bride, her getting sick regularly is my ruined wedding day, but fear not, I'm lucky that it's happening (or so they claim). Come pick some boogers and wipe some butts, and then we'll see just how lucky you claim we are.
Now excuse me. The grumpy child on my lap seems to be bringing me luck - she smells funny and has a booger that needs picking.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment