Monday, February 2, 2009

multiplicity...

This morning, about 10 minutes prior to us running out of the house to head to daycare (remember the post about babies and their time tables?), I walked past the little one and "whoa"!! The dogs were laying close by, but there is a distinct difference between the scent of them passing gas and the little one making a stink. My scurrying has been interrupted and I now need to slow down and change the reeking girl.

I lift her out of her bouncy seat, sit her on my hip, and walk toward her room. As we're walking, I realize that she feel a little wet. Oh no. That can't be good. I put her down, unbutton both of her onesies (yes, there are two), pull off her tights, and realize that inside of her black tights, there is a nice big blob of wet poo. I now regret the adorable outfit that I had put on her...not because it had gotten messy, but because it was a pain to change her out of. I had layered black knit tights, a white longs leeved onesie, and then a short sleeved onesie which was emblazoned with a patch of a bright red heart and crossbones. A matching patch was on her hiney. Luckily the tights had caught everything and I didn't have to worry about creatively pulling it off to prevent getting poo in her hair .

I start cleaning her up, and as I make progress on one butt-cheek, suddenly there's some on her thigh. I move to her thigh, and suddenly there's some on her calf...it wasn't there a second ago! I get it off of her calf, and suddenly there's some on her tummy. My God...it's multiplying! Body part to body part, I get one piece clean as another one gets dirty. I wasn't making any progress, I had yet to pull out a new and equally adorable outfit, and the clock was ticking away. Stop squirming around, little girl! She, of course, is sporting an adorable smile and is making all sorts of chatter.

What did I learn during this poop laden morning? That sometimes you just need to slow down. It's ok if I get to work 10 minutes later then usual. It's ok to take a second to pet the pups and give them kisses. It's ok to giggle with my daughter as the is sprawled on the changing table, tickled by the fact that mommy is telling her she's stinky. Granted, I didn't have a choice but to stop and change her, lest she be the smelly kid in class, but, while at the moment it seemed inconvenient, I had a few more minutes to enjoy with her, which makes my Monday morning feel a little less like a Monday. Poop away little girl...poop away.

1 comment: