Tuesday, August 11, 2009

take a stand...

An unexpected trip to VA for a funeral (though I guess all funerals are unexpected, right?) has put me a bit behind on the blogging front - my apologies.

We taught Alexis the obligatory "How big's Alexis? So big!". I have no idea where that little trick came from and why it's a requirement to teach all babies how to do it, but it is pretty darn cute. Those stubby arms reaching up as far as they can go, big smile on the face - enough to make you want to ask her over and over and over just how big she is. Poor thing.

Alexis isn't walking...I figure standing on her own is something pretty necessary in order to get to that step. Everything takes practice, so I've been holding her by her pits, planting her feet on the floor, and seeing what happens when I start to let go. What's funny is that when you hold her right above the ground like that, her favorite response is the try to bounce. Fun, but no way to learn to stand. You can't jump yourself into a balanced pose. The solution? To get the munchkin to stand up straight, I ask her "How big's Alexis?" She stretches her body out straight, feet flat on the floor, and it gives me a chance to let go.

I was VERY excited to realize that, even if it's only for 15 seconds, she can hold herself upright! Once her display of big-ness is over, the hands come back down, as does her butt. But that's ok. I've seen it first hand - the ability is there. I think it's just a matter of time before I can plant her feet, minus the question, let go, and have her stand on her own for longer. Next up - take a step. But for now, some upstretched, reached out balancing will do just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment