Tuesday, March 10, 2009

all together now...

Growing up, dinner time was very traditional in my family. In 1980's suburbia, where mom stayed home and dad worked, 5:30 became the established time that dinner was ready (which coincidentally was the time he came home...interesting). 5:30 stayed the reservation time (even to this day), and at that time the whole Wieland family would sit down to a home cooked meal, thanks to Mama.

When Jeffrey and I got older, things would come up and we'd miss the designated dinner time. Sometimes only three of us dined around the table. The person's assigned seat would seem empty. If someone else came to dinner, it was hard pressed to figure out who needed to move to allow the newbie in. But all were welcome.

The
n I move out. Jamie and I have RARELY sat at the dinner table to eat. Our dinner table is typically strewn with mail and the like anyway - no room to eat. We used to eat off of our coffee table, but when that was collecting too much junk, I did away with a coffee table entirely. We resorted to purchasing folding TV tray tables and eating in the living room.

Alexis came along and it didn't change anything at first. She drank from a bottle at strange times anyway - no need to clear the mail just for her. But now things are different. She sits in her little attachable "high chair" at the table (we opted for one that clips to the table since our kitchen is small enough...don't need something else sitting on the floor). She munches away (or semi-slurps) at her rice mixed with sweet potato or carrots or fruits. Typically we've been giving that to her around 5:30/6:00. Now we have a reason to clear the mail off of the table and sit with the family.

I subscribe to the idea that a family benefits from eating together. She needs assistance at the moment, so I've been making our dinner while Jamie feeds her, but in time we can all sit together at the same time for dinner. There was warmth and comfort in knowing that I'd have a delicious meal ready for me at 5:30. Even if there wasn't much said (which, with me and Jeffrey being a part of the family, was a rare occasion), we were still together on a daily basis.

My goal? To be able to say (or even have it be pleasantly known) that dinner is at 6:00. You can go out Alexis, but dinner's at 6. Sure, your friend can come over for dinner tonight - tell them 6:00. As a mom, it's one of those many things that I can do to make our family happy and healthy. Check that box off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment