Tuesday, March 17, 2009

and injustice for all...

The little one has been babbling her heart out. Just as she found her toes a month or so ago (and immediately learned to suck them in a feat of unparalleled flexibility), she suddenly found her voice. No real letters to speak of...just gibberish.

The other day, she found the letter "d". Everyone probably knows where this one's going. Apparently, when you get the "d" sound down pat, the natural letter that follows is "a". Makes absolutely no sense to me, but I guess if I go through each vowel, that one's the easiest.

I was prepared for dada to be one of the first sounds she'd make. I know that there is absolutely no person attributed to this...saying it does not reference Jamie, it's just a sound. That being said, Jamie relishes in this. She says it over and over and over again, and while I find it amusing, I think it packs much more of a punch for him. "Are you jealous?" he asks me. No - this is nature. But then I think about why this is more amusing to him then me. I wouldn't say it's jealousy, but in the end it is a little unfair.

Considering the nine (or 10, if you follow the pregnancy rules) months that I carried her, I should be thrown a little bone. Whoever that person up there is, they should have altered human speech development to make "m" the first sound baby utters. C'mon now!

However, there is a silver lining. Dad will lead to Daddy. And Daddy leads to her wrapping her Daddy around her little finger. I can hear the way it will roll off of her little tongue. Daaaaaddyyyyy...I want [insert thing here]. And when she becomes a teenager, it'll still be "But daaaaadddyyyyy...I want to [insert pass time here]. Mommy doesn't roll off the tongue the same way. That's why us moms aren't pliable enough to be wrapped around a finger. You can't whine it just right.

So while he can relish in the sound now, in time it will be his demise. "Mumumum" can wait. It'll keep me stronger for the days when I have to put my foot down. Unfortunately, that only perpetuates the Daddy-whine, since my foot going down results in "Daadddyyyyy...Mom won't let me [insert injustice here]".

I can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment