Wednesday, April 22, 2009

anything i can do...

Jamie and I make fools of ourselves making faces, sounds, and motions in Alexis' direction, hoping that something sticks and she'll do it herself. The first thing she chose to mimic? Clapping.

It's absolutely adorable. Somehow we've defaulted to 5 claps and saying "clap clap clap" while we do it as if the motion itself doesn't truly send the message. Do we assume that by saying the words, she'll think, "oh...that's why they're doing that with their hands...they're clapping...why didn't they just say that?" Once we realized that, upon seeing us do it, she smack her little hands together, Jamie and I have become obsessed with the concept and are continuously applauding in her face. The dogs, understanding clapping to be "come here", get confused amid the ruckus.

I loved her first attempts at clapping. Not understanding that fingers must be straight and wrists tight, she'd swing her arms, hands dangling and knuckles clunking. Occasionally, the stars would align and you'd here the faintest little sound, which of course fueled Jame and I to laugh, praise, and ask her to do it again, and again, and again. She has figured out that some control is needed in order to make it more worthwhile (if you don't make a sound, what's the point?), and while it's still a little hit or miss, there's no denying the little clapping sounds coming from her tiny palms.

The other day I blew a raspberry at her, tucking my bottom lip in and blowing out with a little spit hitting my chin, just as she had done a few minutes prior. While I'd like to believe that the next one was in response to mine, I think I just timed it right and hopped in between two that she'd already planned.

While making rude spitting sounds doesn't seem to be clicking yet, I do think she has also begun to mimic sounds we make. She'll make these "dah" sounds, but with force and vigor behind them, sometimes even stretching her arms out a bit and clenching her fists, really putting everything she has behind it. We make it back (a little less force required), and she'll make the sound again. Copying us? Maybe, maybe not, but it sure does seem that way.

We're just breaking into the world of repeating things that are said or done around her. Once this skill develops, and we truly see it occurring, that's when we'll need to mind our P's and Q's (what exactly are P's and Q's?), keeping the expletives to a minimum, and think all gestures through before expressing ourselves.

It's entertaining when we get to see kids at stores embarrass their parents. I do not, however, have any interest in being the embarrassed mom. In time I'm sure she'll drop the F-bomb, belch, and pick a wedgie while waiting in line to pay for groceries. I hope someone near me gets a good laugh out of it. At least it'll make it worth someone's while.

No comments:

Post a Comment