Over Easter weekend, we'll be taking our first family road trip. We'll be venturing down to Culpeper, Virginia (yes, it's as country as it sounds). There, Alexis will meet her great grandparents on Jamie's mom's side...Edna and Cecil. Again, as country as it sounds. They're cute country bumpkins and will no doubt be ecstatic to see her. We'll also see Jamie's aunt and uncle. Jamie's cousins are as grown as us, so the replacement children are a cute set of pugs - one tan and one black. Alexis will feel right at home.
Our trip will begin on a Saturday afternoon, and after two evenings with the family, we'll be trekking back home on Monday. Gone are the days of making sure Jamie and I have socks, undies, and toothbrush - everything else is expendable, but hopefully the right garments were selected for the weather and activities. Now, it is going to be so incredibly different. Here's what I think we'll need so far - as Easter weekend approaches, this list will only get longer.
- 4 bottles (she needs 3/day but an extra for good measure)
- Cleaning brush to keep those bad boys clean
- 15 servings of powdered formula (only needs 12, but again, better more then not enough)
- 12 jars of baby food, a balance of fruits and veggies to keep things "moving along"
- Rice cereal and oatmeal to mix into the food (keep that belly full!)
- Plastic containers with lids (for on the go meals - need to have somewhere to mix the cereal in), spoons
- Clip-on high chair (for eat-anywhere convenience)
- Clothes - an outfit per day plus extra pants and onesies "just in case", PJs, Easter dress, lots of magically disappearing socks, etc
- Self foaming washcloths
- First aide kit (you never know...want to at least have the "essentials" on hand)
- A friggin' slew of diapers and wipes
- Pack n' Play w/ attachable bassinet and canopy (also need waterproof sheets)
- Umbrella stroller (still to be purchased)
- Toys (enough to keep her entertained, not so many that it's overwhelming)
- Books (gotta stay smart, even on the go)
That can't possibly be everything, but it's a hefty start. I have a friend that took her son to New Zealand for two weeks. (Right Colleen T? Two weeks?) If a few days in Virginia involve all of this, then I have no idea how one plans for a trip that long in another country. Plenty of Benedryl (for the baby) and hard liquor (obvious, but could be insanely driven to give it to the baby, so maybe leave it at home).
Anything I've forgotten ladies? I don't mean to leave out the men, but I think in most cases the ladies are packing, both for baby and for dad, and he's just along for the ride. He's also the one that we yell at when we're stressed out. "Will you PLEASE hold her while I look for her XXX?" "Can't you see that she's upset? What you're doing isn't helping!" "Get out and pump the friggin' gas while I feed her and let's get going!" These are all made up examples, but when I blog after the trip, they very well may be grounded in reality!
T minus 10 days. While I don't pray, you might, so keep us in your prayers!
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OH Jessica.....We took our first road trip to Pittsburgh when she was 8 weeks old. We were gone for 6 days. The car was so packed, my knees were at my chest from the stuff on the floor. And trust me, I said all those things, in that order!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget the BEAR BLANKET!!!!! April