Tuesday, July 7, 2009

plug and play...

Yesterday I had the distinguished pleasure of exercising my contribution to the US judicial system - I had to report for Federal Jury Duty. To get to Philly, I drove to Wayne (approximately 45 min from home), hopped a Regional Rail to Market East Station (another 30-40 minutes), and trekked 6 blocks to the courthouse.

Seeing as it was a weekday, I was knee deep in commuter foot-traffic. And while I was surrounded by other people - to the point of actually touching shoulders with a random man in the train seat next to me - no one acknowledged anyone else. It wasn't until I was actually seated in the uncomfortable "juror's lounge" amongst about 300 others that I saw strangers start chatting - and that was no doubt out of pure boredom.

What I noticed, particularly with the younger people I passed, was that there were more white cords attached to ear buds then I could have counted. Everyone's plugged into something - whether it be MP3s, games, movies, etc. In the room of miserable jurors, quite a few Gen Xers had their iPhones out - most of which were watching their favorite flick, I'm sure. (I currently am without an iPhone, but once my iron grip of a cell phone contract expires, I'm sure I'll enter the smart phone arena too.)

So fine - commuters - enjoy your plugged in lifestyle. But I've also seen the difference in kids and teens. We were recently out to eat, and in a booth next to us, there was a mother with what looked like 3 kids. No lie - all three kids were texting away on their Sidekicks while mom sat in silence, looking bored and staring into space while they waited for food. Teens spending hours on the phone at home, tying up the phone line (thus requiring call waiting)? No longer needed - texting and IMs have become the protocol. Why bother talking when you can text? How sad.

The advances in technology happen at such an insane pace. When I was 18, I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me that there'd be a gaming system where four late 20's people could sit around like kids and play in a band together. I wouldn't have believed you if you had told me that we could have a cell phone that you could shake to roll dice. I can't even begin to fathom what Alexis will get to enjoy (and what I'll then be completely lost with)...

No comments:

Post a Comment