Goodness - this posting thing is getting harder as my evenings are getting shorter (or more packed with chores, that is).
Having Alexis in the childcare center has been amazing. While there are pros and cons to having a child in daycare, there are definitely benefits that I'm beginning to see. They are constantly interacting with her, providing stimulation through toys, books, talking, etc. When I was home with her, I felt that I didn't have much to offer. Here's your swing...here's your bouncy seat...let's check out the ceiling fan...sorry girl, that's all I have. Just their plethora of toys alone out trumps what I can offer her (plus it keeps our home much less cluttered). I am absolutely in love with Miss Zina and Miss Emily, and dread the day where I need to say goodbye to them for the last time and instead drop my little one off at her new destination - the Goddard School. Wow - I think I just got a bit choked up over that one...moving along...
In the infant room, there were 3 babies at one time. (She has suddenly become the only infant, which guarantees a lot of one-on-one interaction and spoiling, but it seems a bit lonely too.) Each day when I drop her off or pick her up, I'd observe the other two as well. After checking them out, I'd take a look at the white board that charts name, age, next diaper, next bottle, etc. (When dealing with multiple infants, diligent note taking seems to be the key.) I look at their age, then look at what they're doing, then look at my daughter.
Suddenly you start to get that creeping feeling that maybe your child isn't developing properly. He's got that expression on his face and he's a month older then her...she isn't looking at me like that yet...will she? His head seems strong, and he's only a few weeks ahead of her. Will she get that strong or is her neck cursed to be wobbly for life?
If I'm going to constantly play this game in my head, then it's a battle I should be prepared to lose. I've already determined that I need to stop reading the Internet. Babycenter offers a WEEKLY update on what your child should be doing. I understand monthly milestones, but weekly?! Of course it's going to vary and throw you off kilter. What's almost humorous is that at the bottom of each summary, they add the disclaimer that each child develops differently. If that's the case, then don't tell me that on week 3 of month 2 she should be making this or that noise or should be making this much or that much eye contact. Let me enjoy this time with her and allow me and her pediatrician to determine what's right or wrong.
In the baby world, it's impossible to compare apples to apples - babies come in a cornucopia of fruits and vegetables. I, for one, intend to love my grape on a weekly basis, and when, in time, she becomes a raisin, grape juice, and then wine, I'll appreciate the fact that I kept all of my concerns out of my head and loved every second of it.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

All these fruit analogies are making me hungry. Want to do lunch sometime this week?
ReplyDelete