Baby food jars are great. All of a baby's nutrients are jammed into a small jar. Fruits, veggies, meats...all in one jar. How much more convenient does it get? It's even easier then formula...with those you have to wash bottles. Here, pop the top, grab a spoon, eat, done.
We have now moved to a new stage of eating, and it's actually alot of fun. She can eat "things" now. As long as you can make it into something small sized and it's smooshy enough, it's fair game. Today, for example? A SpecialK Red Berries waffle (have to watch our figures, us gals), nuked to soft perfection and torn to shreds. Scatter it all over the table in front of her (who needs plates?) and off she goes.
We still give her jarred food too - they have Stage 3 foods that are pretty much the same stuff that was in the Stage 2 jars, only they turned the blender off a little sooner, leaving some miscellaneous chunks intact. And she still gets 2-3 bottles a day. But we've really taken to giving her all sorts of (healthy) goodies.
Unfortunately, this all has made it quite clear to me that Jamie and I have a horrible diet. I wanted her to have fruits with lunch and dinner, but we had not-a-single fruit anywhere in our house. I want her to definitely get a veggie with dinner, but that means that I need to cook a veggie for us. Hmmm...guess that wasn't a regular thing in our house since now I need to make a concious effort to make them. Mac n' cheese wasn't a problem, but I'm not sure it's a good sign that, out of fruit, veggies, and mac n' cheese, the latter was the only one we had readily accessible.
I've realized that her health seems more important then ours. I'm not saying it's a trade off. I'm simply saying that I check labels to make sure there aren't preservatives or additives or what-have-you in her food, but I'm more then happy to munch on a frozen pizza containing almost half of my daily sodium allotment. I buy bananas, blueberries, etc for her, but don't think to pop some of that goodness into my own mouth. Pass me the ice cream, but you, Alexis, need to eat this organic yogurt.
It's not that she's teaching us a lesson - but she's teaching us to teach ourselves a lesson...I think...not sure that makes sense...but you guys know what I mean. I'm going to take a peak at and poke my love-handle, then waltz myself downstairs and snag a honeydew melon out of her fruit stash. Our secret...
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How true this is! Rest assured, you are not the only household that has needed some adjustment. Canned fruits and veggies are great to keep in the pantry when you run out of the fresh ones - plus they are nice and mushy already. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, and from one label reader to another, Giant makes pears and peaches in pear juice instead of syrup.
If you are interested, we can head off to Zern's and pick up some fruits and veggies to split between the two of us. It always seems I am throwing out spoiled fruits and veggies because Norah can't eat a whole cantelope in one week. April
ReplyDelete