Friday, September 12, 2008

tidbits of wisdom...

It's been a week now...part of me says, wow, can't believe a week has passed, and then another part says, that's all it's been?? Time is weird now...I feel like my days pass by so quickly because the day revolves around her semi-scheduled functions. "How long has it been since she last ate?", "When did we change her last diaper?", "How long has she been sleeping?". Suddenly it's nighttime (and that doesn't stop the time thing either...schedule continues), then we get up and start over!

I had forgotten a small piece of advice someone had given me (which was echoed in a book I have): "You do not have to change every single wet diaper at night-only the poopy ones".

Last night at 4AM (knowing we'd changed her at 2AM and having sniffed her butt to make sure there was no poop present), I decided to go right into feeding her versus changing her first (she does NOT like being changed). I had also made sure to catch her after her first few protests but before she was actually crying. She drank her bottle (though slower then usual...had to burp her a few times to wake her up) and then, after a few Eh's and Uch's, she was back out like a light. It was a beautiful thing.

Now, we have been having a dilemma. Around 10PM, she starts to get fussy and is wide awake. This is also the time Jamie is on his shift and I am in bed. She gets to crying her heart out, and it seems that regardless of what he does, this is a grumpy time where she can't be consoled (usually lasts until 1AM, off and on). In an effort to keep my husband's sanity in tact, I'd love to hear some suggestions...

I know there are parents out there that have their own sage tidbits of wisdom that can be shared (like the wet diaper one). Please do leave me a comment and pass them along. I know everyone does things differently, but it can't hurt to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment