Wednesday, November 19, 2008

didja miss me?...

I missed Tuesday's post. Something tells me this is going to begin to be an every-other-day blog. Such is motherhood.

Today was our third day back to work. I'm starting to get back into the groove of things, but I must say it's been a bit tough to be productive. I have quite a few relationships with employees throughout the company (as in connections/friends, not inappropriate work affairs), and anytime I walk somewhere, I'm stopped frequently to engage in a conversation with someone welcoming me back. My favorite part of each of these conversations is the "you look so great" and "we missed you so much" phrases. Because of the pure enjoyment I get out of hearing this things, I allow myself to become distracted and have these chats. It's fair to be selfish like that, right?

Not only am I adjusting well, but so is Alexis. Each day I receive a sheet that outlines her every move from that day. Times of feedings. Nap times and durations. Diaper changes (complete with places to mark whether it was just wet, whether there was a poopy, or both). It was nice to see that her nap times have extended to longer time periods each day, which is fabulous (the first day it was 15 min there, 20 min here). There is nothing worse then being excited to see your daughter after a long day only to have her scream in your face because she's tired. Thanks dear...great to see you too.

What cracked me up is that this morning my feelings suddenly stopped being about her and were all about me. We arrived and I again looked around the room to find the best spot. I decided on the pile of boppy pillows close to another boy (who can roll around...I was hoping her pillow barrier would keep her safe from the rogue roller). When I looked back as I ventured out of the infant room, I was actually saddened by the fact that she was content and seemed happy! Wait a second dear daughter. Aren't you supposed to miss me? Aren't you supposed to at least give a little whimper because you're going to miss mommy? Do you like being here better then with me? What is wrong with you?!? Speak up little girl!!

But in all honesty, she really is doing well. The teacher told me that she's adjusting well for someone that's only been there three days. Initially I thought, "she tells everyone that", but was informed by a credible source that she does not make a habit of saying things like that. I guess it's important for parents to hear if their kid is a nuisance that just can't hang with the other kids.

We take it one day at a time. By week end she'll scoff at my when I come to visit her, as if to say, "mom, I don't need you here, thank you very much". ...they just grow up so fast.

1 comment:

  1. Just wait. I due time she will really start to recognize your face, and squeal in delight at your visits. Although ear piercing and deafening at times, it warms the heart.

    ReplyDelete