Not really a fun topic today, but I can't be witty every day, now can I?
Having a baby, you're suddenly barraged with all sorts of medical decisions that need to be made. Right from the get go, you need to let them know whether or not she should get her first shot at the hospital. Then there was the choice between breastfeeding versus formula. I needed to decide whether the benefits of breastfeeding outweighed the potential risks of passing my anti-seizure medication to my child. Next are all of the vaccinations that are delivered in droves. Each monthly appointment comes with a new shot(s) with a seemingly new name (I can't keep them all straight...good thing I have my handy vaccine card to keep track).
The one that's most concerning to me is the possible link between autism and vaccines. There is speculation that they're connected, but supposedly there is no proof. So maybe I want to be selective about what she gets. But how the heck do I know which ones to allow? It's much like when you install a computer program, you can either select "full install" or "custom", though you get the warning that custom should only be if you are familiar with the separate files.
I went to the pediatrician today positive that I was going to spread all of these shots out. Such a little body, should she really get four injections plus some sort of oral liquid that covers stomach viruses? But then I start talking to the pediatrician, and I can't figure out, from our conversation, which she should get today and which we can schedule later (particularly because she's starting daycare on Monday). I mention my concern about the autism/vaccine issue, but of course am told that there's no evidence. So I give in and say ok, let's get them all.
Now I carry the weight of, if she were to come down with something like autism, it's my fault. But we're in the hands of the medical community. I selected this pediatrician because I like her and trust the practice. Therefore, shouldn't I default to her recommendations? But as many people joke, doctors practice medicine.
It crosses my mind that there is information out there about drugs, their side effects, the risks, etc, but because there is big business in the pharmaceutical companies, isn't there the potential that they'd cover something up?
Big brother watches us, but who turns around and watches them?
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Where did you get a vaccine card from? Can you pick me up one?
ReplyDeleteGot it at the hospital before we were discharged. Has a list of all the vaccines and they fill in the date they were administered. The pediatrician might have something like that too...not sure.
ReplyDeleteAs a nurse and mother, I have to say that I am very happy that you decided to have Lexi receive ALL of the vaccines, and as scheduled. I won't rant and rave, but as far as I am concerned, they are as important as the formula she eats. Happy birthday to Jamie- looks like I'm 0 for 2, eh? EEEK! Enjoy your first day back to work. Kisses to Lexi.
ReplyDelete