Sunday, November 9, 2008

luv, hugs, and a little pampering...

The diaper world is hard to navigate. There are a variety of different brands to choose from. Each mom seems to have a diaper of choice, leaving me no better off narrowing the field then I was before. It would be easiest to gauge these things if I could try them on myself, but first of all they're too small, and second of all when you're a potty trained adult, that would just feel wrong. You have to go by what happens when the baby wears them. I've discovered:

- Huggies seem to be the softest and look like they'd be the most comfortable, but the leg holes seem to have been the weak point during this test drive. Obviously, leg elastic is key in this case.

- Pampers look like a cheaper diaper and have a strange fuzzy texture to the outside, but on a wet dry run, they stood up quite well. And they also don't have Pooh on them, which is a much needed relief from the crazy Pooh sponsored baby world (but I'll save my anti-Pooh rant for another time).

- Luvs are a brand I didn't even think about. My mom asked about them, which means that these are old school diapers as my little brother is 19. The price of these things is fabulous, which is nice to see for a poo pouch. They feel thinner and smell a bit strange, but I've fallen in love with this brand. And they have Blue from Blues Clues on them (again, Anti-Pooh is key).

So I've decided on Luvs. But wait - there's more. Nightime diapers aren't like daytime diapers. Since the missus is sleeping longer now, it seems that there's a leak every morning. This means that the PJs and the sheet are shot (plus her dignity). The solution here? I need to revert back to the Pampers (see bullet two), but in size 2 versus 1 (a suggestion on the part of a few other mommies). While these things could go up to her armpits, it seems to do the trick. Makes sense now in retrospect.

In the end, we purchase Luvs for daytime, Pampers for nighttime. I secretly love that we've opted against Huggies (again, my Pooh aversion). I have noticed is that while most sizes (as in the height x width x depth size) stay the same as diapers get bigger, less diapers fit in the box/pouch, so while you get a bazillion diapers in the newborn pack, for the same price in the size 4 pack, you get a pair of diapers.

Between diapers and formula, this child is going to eat and poop us out of house and home. But of course, we can't let her go potty in her pants. And while she has a reserve of fat that could hold her over for a bit, she needs her liquid gold to drink too.

During sex ed in school, forget responsibility and STDs and such. They should simply make the kids buy diapers and formula for their hard boiled egg baby or flour baby for a month. That should teach 'em.

2 comments:

  1. They should have sample packs too! Maybe 6 or so in a pack. At least a days worth. That way you don't have to spend a fortune on a whole pack of diapers that suck! The free trials that you get in the mail don't cut it either, because baby might not want to 'test the limits' during that diaper change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! I'm glad to see that you have joined the ranks of the proud purchasers of Luvs!

    ReplyDelete