Yesterday, as I watched Jamie with Alexis, talking to her as he held her and being all cute and stuff, I got all introspective (right word?). My husband is "tough looking" (tattoos, shaved head, etc), which makes it so much more endearing.
So as I admired my husband, I also realized how much I love him (we're getting a bit sappy here). And the love sort of changes when you have a child together. Someone on my team told me that if you're married with no kids, and separate, that's it...relationship over, no need to ever talk again. But if you have kids with someone, you're eternally tied to that person. Totally true.
What has also struck me is that I can not imagine doing this alone. Having him as my "partner" in this, having him as someone that helps to keep me sane (like when you pass her off b/c shaken baby syndrome is totally understandable sometimes), having him help me clip those itty bitty finger nails, having him help me figure out how to give the little squirmy thing a bath, etc...those are all things I can't imagine doing alone. How do single mothers handle it? How do fathers, whose mother have abandoned them, do it alone? I have a new respect for the strength they must have.
I'm so excited to see him grow close to her and have her become daddy's little girl. I know how tight me and my dad were, and to this day I'm still daddy's little girl. She's so blessed to have someone like him to be with her through her life, and I'm blessed to have him be my husband in this journey we call parenthood. So as I become all teary eyed in front of my computer (with my dogs looking at me like I'm nuts), I end this post with a big Thank You and I Love You to my Jamie.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You know, I am really surprised it took this long for this post. I went totally postpartum closer to three weeks, and found myself crying and thanking Tim profusely for being with me, and helping me and cooking dinner, etc. Then I immediately called my mom and apologized for giving her a hard time when I was young and my sister was born. (she was a single parent)
ReplyDeleteJessica, great writing and I got a little teary eyed when reading about you being dady's girl! You still are and will always be!!! So very proud of my girl!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWith love,
Your Dad