There are some people that you want touching your baby, and there are others where you don't. For example, today when I visited work, I was more then happy to have everyone and anyone on my team (or that I know outside my team, for that matter) touch her little toes, hold her, etc. Then, on the other hand, you have the lovely lady at my local grocery store who just had to check out Lexi's toes. With her, luckily, she simply pulled back her blanket to look at the adorable (though very long) toes...no actual contact was made. What totally freaked me out is that when she put her hand down to move the blanket, I noticed some horrible skin malfunction that looked, in my paranoid new mother's eyes, to be some form of lepercy.
The women at my work were very responsible. A bottle of hand sanitizer was passed around to all, even if they didn't plan to hold her (disease prevention by association). The woman at the grocery store, however, as well as any other stranger (STRANGER DANGER) aren't exactly toting around Purel in case the encounter a cute baby.
How does a mother handle this quandary? How can you say to someone, "um, please don't touch my child" without coming off like a royal bitch? Even something more polite like, "I'm sorry, I prefer for people not to touch her" doesn't sound right. Maybe next time the check-out lady goes to touch, I move the cart around to get her out of her reach (that would be entertaining, though also rude I imagine). Short of only frequenting locations where I know everyone, tell me mothers, how do I handle this?!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Onesies with feet, kinda hard to get to those cute little toes that way. At least if they touch her hands, you have your baby wipes with you!!! Or maybe a bib that says "look but don't touch"!! haha. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteOr you could always pull the "she sleeps with her eyes open, so please don't wake her up"
ReplyDelete